France braces for presidential election after another attack

  • Get News Alerts


France began picking itself up Friday from another shooting claimed by the Islamic State group, with President Francois Hollande calling together the government's security council and his would-be successors in the presidential election campaign treading carefully before voting this weekend.

One of the key questions was if, and how, the attack that killed one police officer and wounded three other people might impact voting intentions. The risk for the main candidates was that misjudging the public mood, making an ill-perceived gesture or comment, could damage their chances. With polling just two days away, and campaigning banned from Friday at midnight, they would have no time to recover before polls open on Sunday. Candidates canceled or rescheduled final campaign events ahead of Sunday's first-round vote in the two-stage election.

On the iconic avenue in the heart of Paris, municipal workers in white hygiene suits were out before dawn Friday to wash down the sidewalk where the assault took place — a scene now depressingly familiar after multiple attacks that have killed more than 230 people in France in little over two years. Delivery trucks did their early morning rounds; everything would have seemed normal were it not for the row of TV trucks parked up along the boulevard that is a must-visit for tourists.

Hollande's defense and security council meeting was part of government efforts to protect Sunday's vote, taking place under already heightened security, with more than 50,000 police and soldiers mobilized, and a state of emergency in place since 2015.

The attacker emerged from a car and used an automatic weapon to shoot at officers outside a Marks & Spencer's department store at the center of the Champs-Elysees, anti-terrorism prosecutor Francois Molins said. Police shot and killed the gunman. One officer was killed and two seriously wounded. A female foreign tourist also was wounded, Molins said. The Islamic State group's claim of responsibility just a few hours after the attack came unusually swiftly for the extremist group, which has been losing territory in Iraq and Syria.

In a statement from its Amaq news agency, the group gave a pseudonym for the shooter, Abu Yusuf al-Beljiki, indicating he was Belgian or had lived in Belgium. Belgian authorities said they had no information about the suspect.

Investigators searched a home early Friday in an eastern suburb of Paris believed linked to the attack. A police document obtained by The Associated Press identifies the address searched in the town of Chelles as the family home of Karim Cheurfi, a 39-year-old with a criminal record.

Police tape surrounded the quiet, middle-class neighborhood and worried neighbors expressed surprise at the searches. Archive reports by French newspaper Le Parisien say that Cheurfi was convicted of attacking a police officer in 2001.

 

Authorities are trying to determine whether "one or more people" might have helped the attacker, Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said.

The attacker had been flagged as an extremist, according to two police officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to publicly discuss the investigation.

The gunfire sent scores of tourists fleeing into side streets.

"They were running, running," said 55-year-old Badi Ftaïti, who lives in the area. "Some were crying. There were tens, maybe even hundreds of them."

The assault recalled two recent attacks on soldiers providing security at prominent locations around Paris: one at the Louvre museum in February and one at Orly airport last month.

A French television station hosting an event with the 11 candidates running for president briefly interrupted its broadcast to report the shootings.

Conservative contender Francois Fillon, who has campaigned against "Islamic totalitarianism," said on France 2 television that he was canceling his planned campaign stops Friday.

Far-right candidate Marine Le Pen, who campaigns against immigration and Islamic fundamentalism, took to Twitter to offer her sympathy for law enforcement officers "once again targeted." She canceled a minor campaign stop, but scheduled another.

Centrist candidate Emmanuel Macron offered his thoughts to the family of the dead officer.

Socialist Benoit Hamon tweeted his "full support" to police against terrorism.

The two top finishers in Sunday's election will advance to a runoff on May 7.

Comments

More News

  • Unlucky Maoist quartet

    Unlucky Maoist quartet The Maoists had won a majority in the first-past-the-post (FPTP) electoral system in the first Constituent Assembly (CA) election held in 2008 but they had to struggle to form government then. CPN-UML, the then third largest party, was in three out of the four governments formed during the existence of the first CA like the largest party by a distance was, and the two parties also got to lead two governments each.

  • Livestock Ministry addresses cent per cent plaints filed at Hello Sarkar

    Livestock Ministry addresses cent per cent plaints filed at Hello Sarkar Only the Ministry of Livestock Development has addressed cent per cent complaints filed by general public at Hello Sarkar program. Hello Sarkar program chief Pradyumna Prasad Upadhyay said that of the total 160 complaints related to it, the Mini...

  • Deuba finally expands Cabinet

    Deuba finally expands Cabinet Prime Minister (PM) Sher Bahadur Deuba has finally expanded his Cabinet on Wednesday 50 days after he was sworn in along with seven ministers by inducting 19 new ministers on June 6.

  • Local representatives directed to furnish property details

    The National Vigilance Center has directed the elected local representatives to submit their property details within 60 days of their election through the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development.

  • No constitution amendment in present situation: Bijukchhe

    No constitution amendment in present situation: Bijukchhe Nepal Worker and Peasants' Party Chairman Narayan Man Bijukchhe has said the constitution amendment proposal was not in the interest of the nation and it could not be passed in the usual political situation.

Opinion

  • Why should we save the ethos of 2015 Nepali constitution? Why should we save the ethos of 2015 Nepali constitution?

    While Nepal should address voices that question the constitution, it should not undermine the document’s dignity and longevity if the country wants to establish a constitutional culture. No constitution can fulfill all wishes. The drafters of the present constitution should not feel guilty in not securing the consent of all citizens. If the constitution is not fundamentally discriminatory, it has chances to grow further.

    Bhushan Aryal

  • One Belt One Road: Prospects & Challenges One Belt One Road: Prospects & Challenges

    Nepal thus has to debate, discuss, analyze and then conclude the cost and benefits of the OBOR for its populace. The benefits of OBOR for Nepali economy are easy to understand, but the short, medium and long-term consequences are not simple, and thus require careful examination.

    Chintamani Mahapatra

Blog

  • Dreams and drains Dreams and drains

    A water-filled ditch looks quite benign until someone lands into it. It was a case of extreme apathy on the part of the perpetrators as the girl paid up with her life for their neglect.

    Hemant Arjyal

  • Govt apathy toward flood control Govt apathy toward flood control

    While some opine that, relief can be an option for providing an instant solution, the majority believes that Nepal needs a permanent solution to the problem. And the solution could be construction of dams and water reservoirs, which are the best instruments for flood control.

    Pooja Chaudhary

Readers Column

  • Traffic Police in Kathmandu

    As busy and hassling as the traffic system in Kathmandu is, the Traffic Police here have to handle an equally strenuous job. Over 1,400 traffic officers in and around the Kathmandu Valley battle against the pestering traffic and air pollution each day.

  • Menstrual taboo outdated

    I have seen my sisters and friends isolated and treated in discriminatory manner during their first menstruation cycle. They were not allowed to look at the sun, to touch water source, flower, fruits, any male family member, nor even hear their voice. The activist may claim the situation has changed and I do agree but still during every month my loved ones turns into untouchables beings.

Popular

Recommended

Suchanapati