India wants Nepal to make 7 changes in statute, reports The Indian Express
India wants Nepal to make seven amendments in the new constitution to address the dissatisfactions raised by the Madhesh-based parties and Janajatis, The Indian Express reported on Wednesday quoting the Indian government sources.
The daily claims that the amendments sought by the Indian establishment were prepared after India's government reviewed the new constitution, and they were relayed to the Nepal's leadership via India ambassador Ranjit Rae.
As reported by The Indian Express, 7-point amendments wanted by India include:
1. To delineate electoral constituencies based on percentage of population in the case of Madhesh
2. To re-insert 'proportional' in Article 42 of the new constitution to ensure right to participation in state structures on the basis of proportional representation.
3. To ensure that those with citizenship by birth or naturalization are also entitled to the posts of President, Vice-President, Prime Minister, Chief Justice, Speaker of Parliament, Chairperson of National Assembly, Head of Province, Chief Minister, Speaker of Provincial Assembly and Chief of Security Bodies
4. To provide for representation in the National Assembly based on population of the provinces
5. To include Kanchanpur, Kailali, Sunsari, Jhapa and Morang districts in Madhesh province
6. Restore the period to delineate electoral constituencies in every 20 years (as mentioned in the new constitution) to 10 years as in the Interim Constitution
7. To ensure automatic acquisition of naturalized citizenship to woman married to Nepali citizen
- Dr KC staging hunger strike for 12th time
Elections within stipulated time: DPM Shrestha
Deputy Prime Minister Gopal Man Shrestha has said the elections of the House of Representatives and State Assemblies would be held within the stipulated time.
- Deputy RJP general secretary Baig joins UML
- UML wins in Jitpur Simara sub-metropolis
- Maoist Center to forge alliance with change-maker party: Sharma
Amendment of Education Act: A betrayal to capable candidates
Not all, but many of the temporary teachers who have been wishing to become permanent, no doubt, appointed on the basis of their political ideologies. They couldn't succeed in the examinations despite repeated attempts. They carried the bags of those parties during their teaching career.
The Doklam dilemma
Being a buffer state between the two giant neighbors, Nepal should conduct its foreign policy vis-à-vis China and India in a very sensitive manner. Nepal has always maintained that it would not allow its soil to be used against any neighbor. At the same time, Nepal should make sure that its own national interests are never compromised.
Gaurab Shumsher Thapa
The regional integration initiatives & Nepal
For the small landlocked economies, such as Nepal, regional integration is more of a necessity than a policy option. The ideal way forward for Nepal to gain most out of the economic integration would be to identify the key areas in which Nepal could contribute and facilitate the promotion of those sectors.
Repercussions of extreme materialism through the lens of American history
The invaders started embracing community values that helped them evolve from plunderers to freedom fighters. The alliance of the tribes “Iroquois Federate” became the basis for the government system of US that helped resist tyrannical British power for independence.
Traffic Police in Kathmandu
As busy and hassling as the traffic system in Kathmandu is, the Traffic Police here have to handle an equally strenuous job. Over 1,400 traffic officers in and around the Kathmandu Valley battle against the pestering traffic and air pollution each day.
Menstrual taboo outdated
I have seen my sisters and friends isolated and treated in discriminatory manner during their first menstruation cycle. They were not allowed to look at the sun, to touch water source, flower, fruits, any male family member, nor even hear their voice. The activist may claim the situation has changed and I do agree but still during every month my loved ones turns into untouchables beings.